We are experts in all things engineering, from concept to commissioning. Have you got an innovative idea that you want to create?
This article about manufacturing a prototype is the final instalment of our ‘From Idea To Prototype’ series.
Previously, we have discussed how to determine if your idea is commercially viable, how to fund your engineering project and how to protect your big idea. Now we are looking at the big finale… turning your idea into a physical product.
Why do you need a prototype?
We often get asked ‘why do I need a prototype?’ Prototypes are a three-dimensional version of your vision and are integral to the success of your idea for so many reasons.
Constructing a prototype:
- Enables you to develop the final/perfect version of your product. As the saying goes ‘Rome wasn’t built in a day,’ and no innovation is made without some tweaks and modifications.
- Allows you to test and refine your product. Your innovation is no longer in your head or drawn on paper. When it is a prototype you get to use it and see how it really works. Is it what you expected? What modifications are necessary to improve upon your idea?
- Allows you to test materials. Would your product function best when it was made out of steel or plastic? Only one way to find out… prototypes! You do not want to find out that your product would be better/cheaper/lighter/more functional if it was made from a different material halfway through mass-manufacturing.
- Gives you a tangible product to show, share and explain. Ever tried selling an idea? It is pretty hard. It is much easier to sell something when you can show it off and let people touch and use it for themselves.
- Legitimises your product for the manufacturing process and public releases.
- Makes people take you seriously.
How do you get a prototype manufactured?
When it comes to manufacturing your prototype you really want to call in the professionals. This is where we come in! After being in business for almost 30 years, we know the ins and outs of design and engineering. We’ve worked with a variety of industries and people on a variety of innovations and solutions. We highly recommend getting in touch with an engineering company. We are the most qualified people with the highest quality equipment to get the job done and get it done right.
What to look for in an engineering team?
You are going to need a dedicated team of professionals that can design, develop and build. At Prime Engineering we work closely with our clients to make their ideas come to life. Our team are experienced in every area of machinery design and construction. Contact us to find out how we can help you.